The Words are an unsigned band from Manchester who are developing an exciting reputation as one of the top up and coming bands in the country. The band have an incredible passion for their music and performing live which has led to the band taking on gigs of all sizes from smaller intimate venues infront of 50 people all the way up playing festivals infront of more than 35,000.
Influenced by absolutely everything that they hear the band manage to produce various genres of music but all of them have the unique ability to entertain and get people tapping their feet and singing along.
The Words have played venues and festivals all over the UK. Festivals include Liverpool’s Sound City, London’s Incoming Festivals, the Now We Are Weekender fesitval in the West Midlands, the Wyeside festival in Herefordshire and the Ripley Music Festival in Derbyshire. The band have also played at top venues around the UK including Manchester Club Academy, The Cavern Club in Liverpool, Proud in Camden, the O2 Academy 3 in Birmingham and many many more.
The band’s biggest gig to date was at the Stuttgart Sternstunden festival in the city centre of Stuttgart, Germany where the band were selected by Mercdes-Benz as their top up and coming act in Europe to play in front of more than 35,000 fans as the only support act for music giants Placebo & 30 Seconds to Mars to celebrate Mercedes’ 125th anniversary. The Words, Placebo & 30 Seconds to Mars are the only 3 bands who have ever performed in the Schlossplatz and were told the only 3 bands that ever will.
On top of this The Words have also toured Austria where the band played in Vienna city centre for the Ober Sankt Veiter Gratzlfest 2012 as well as playing at various venues in and around Vienna.
The band’s music has also been recognised with the following achievements…
* I’m Not Listening featuing on MUTV
* Drum for a Soul and I’m Not Listening being licensed for independant films
* Caroline being selected for Microsoft’s sponsored song program to promote Windows 7
* The video for My Silver Line receiving plays on Propeller TV
* I Just Wanna Dance and Waiting for Days being used in Hollyoaks
* Under the Sun and FAG being featured by Mercedes-Benz’ Mixed Tape Website
* FAG being used on a Mercedes-Benz promotional DVD 50 of the companies VIPs
* Under the Sun, FAG and Siren all being introduced by Tom Robinson on BBC 6 Music
The Words recorded their debut album ‘Truth & Faith’ with Phoenixx Records which was released on November 14th 2011. The album received incredible feedback including….
* Featured as album of the week on TunAtheDay
* The Words being selected as ‘band of the month’ for November on Room Thirteen Magazine
* Lead single ‘Everybody’s With You’ being single of the week on ‘Indie London’
* Demons receiving regular spot plays on Kerrang Radio
* Everybody’s With You play listing on All FM in Manchester
* FAG, Siren & Head Over Heels all featuring on Tom Robinson’s BBC 6 Music radio show
* Everybody’s With You used as the soundtrack to April’s Goal of the Month compilation on Manchester City’s website
The album was released with an album launch party at Fac251 in Manchester which was a sell out. This was followed by a single release party for Demons at Deaf Institute in Manchester which was yet another sell out for the band.
The Words are currently working on brand new material and are looking for a record label for the new album.
“Absolutely storming” – Tom Robinson, BBC 6 Music
“So many awesome melodies” – Alex Baker, Kerrang Radio
“Wow! Great energy and a great sound” – Emma Scott, ex-Kerrang Radio
“The very best of British indie rock… bound to leave you speechless” – Mercedes-Benz
“The Words are a real band, a real band with songs of genuine quality” – Unpeeled.net
“Timeless… you’ll listen to Stand up sit down over and over again” – New Beats Media
The Words are…
Ste Draper – Vocals & rhythm guitar
Neil Rowbotham – Lead guitar & backing vocals
Tom Jackson – Bass guitar & backing vocals
Graeme Smith – Drums